Thursday, March 27, 2008

Feeling Overwhelmed

Sometimes, I feel overwhelmed at all of the things I am supposed to be doing. I am totally failing. I found this poem, I have read it a few times and it always makes me laugh.

Look at me, look at me,
look at me now!
You could do what I do if you only knew how.
I study the scriptures one hour each day;
I bake, I upholster, I scrub, and I pray.
I always keep all the commandments completely;
I speak to my little ones gently and sweetly.
I help in their classrooms!
I sew all they wear!
I drive them to practice!
I cut all their hair!
I memorize names of the General Authorities;
I focus on things to be done by priorities.
I play the piano!
I bless with my talents!
My toilets all sparkle!
My checkbooks all balance!
Each week every child gets a one-on-one date;
I attend all my meetings
(on time! never late!)
I'm taking a class on the teachings of Paul,
But that is not all! Oh, no. That is not all,
I track my bad habits 'til each is abolished;
Our t-shirts are ironed!
My toenails are polished!
Our family home evenings
are always delightful;
The lessons I give are both
fun and insightful.
I do genealogy faithfully, too.
It's easy to do all the things that I do!
I rise each day early,
refreshed and awake;
I know all the names of each youth in my stake!
I read to my children!
I help all my neighbors!
I bless the community, too,
with my labors.
I exercise and I cook menus gourmet;
My visiting teaching is done the first day!
(I also go do it for someone who misses hers.
It's the least I can do for my cherished ward sisters.)
I chart resolutions and check off each goal;
I seek each 'lost lamb' on my Primary role.
I can home-grown produce
each summer and fall.
But that is not all!
Oh, no. That is not all,
I write in my journal!
I sing in the choir!
Each day, I write 'thank you's'
to those I admire.
My sons were all Eagles
when they were 14!
My kids get straight A's!
And their bedrooms are clean!
I have a home business to
help make some money;
I always look beautifully
groomed for my honey.
I go to the temple at least once a week;
I change the car's tires!
I fix the sink's leak!
I grind my own wheat and
I bake all our bread;
I have our meals planned
out six months ahead.
I make sure I rotate our
two years supply;
My shopping for Christmas
is done by July!
These things are not hard;
tis good if you do them;
You can if you try!
Just set goals and pursue them!
It's easy to do all the
things that I do!
If you plan and work smart,
you can do them all, too!
'It's easy!' she said
and then she dropped dead.

So, Torie and I were at Costco yesterday and they had these buckets of wheat from Lehi Roller Mills. People had carts full of them. The workers said that when they get a few pallets in, they are gone in minutes. I told Torie, "What the Heck would I want with wheat. I don't have a wheat grinder, and I don't make homemade bread." If it was an emergency, I guess I would mix it with water and eat up. YUK! The lady in front of us, (Buying like 20 something buckets) said, that she makes like 20 loaves of bread each week. Good For Her, I SUCK!!!
I guess that's why I am feeling overwhelmed. I have a lot of food storage, (I think) but most of it is stuff that I really wouldn't eat, unless I had too.

Oh Well! I'll try to do better.

11 comments:

Natilie said...

Okay that poem makes me want to blow my head off. I mean really. Secondly, store the food you eat. If it is three hundred packs of mac and cheese at least you won't starve. Thirdly, you are doing a great job.

Katherine said...

I say that to Glen too, what would I do with wheat? So, I agree with Nat, at least for now. Get what you know how to use! :)
I love that poem - I hae one called Patti Perfect and it pretty much is the same. We really are expected to do so much - but like Pres. Hinckley said - just do the best you can!

kelliemcc said...

You'll never win mother of the year with an attitude like that! This coming from slacker of the year.

haley said...

that poem makes me tired just reading it. i'm with nat, store mac and cheese... just make sure you have the water to boil the noodles stored away with it!!!! cause crunch mac and cheese doesn't sound so yummy.

Mike, Torie and Boys said...

I kept thinking all day- I should go back and buy some wheat.I couldn't believe how the people were going crazy over it.
I liked your poem. You make me laugh.
Thanks so much for today. You are the best sister. You had 5 kids under 4. You are amazing.
Thankyou...

The Carter Family said...

That poem is awsome!! Maybe in another life I will be able to do all of that stuff ha ha. Don't get overwhelmed I am sure you are doing great!

Cori Simmons said...

I love the new background on your blog! The poem is great!

Justin and Lori said...

Hey Heather-
Go back and get that wheat! :) Actually according to my farmer husband the price of wheat is going to sky rocket because there is a shortage of supply world wide. A lot of our friends who normally grow wheat haven't got it because it is so expensive right now.
Just so you know I don't bake my own bread-and i have hardly any wheat for the same reason as you!

Katherine said...

how did you do your blog title and stuff? It's very cute! I noticed Torie's was similar...

kelliemcc said...

I would like to change my first comment, since I have cOme back anD your blog is SPECTACULAR!!! How do you do it!?! Your award will be arriving this afternoon.

Hayley Holliman said...

Hey - I iron my shirts. That's pretty good right?