Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Motherhood

Tonight I re-read Elder Ballard's talk on Motherhood. I would recommend reading to everyone. Each time I do, something new stands out to me, and it is something I didn't pick up on last time. I keep telling Colby, we are over scheduling ourselves, and he just laughs at me. Hadlee doesn't really care what she is doing, as long as we are doing it with her. She could care less if we are on some great beach, Lake Powell, or just down at the local pool. She doesn't know the difference, and really doesn't care. "Families need unstructured time when relationships can deepen and real parenting can take place. Take time to listen, to laugh, and to play together."


I also need to live more in the moment. I am always saying, "When the kids get bigger," and wishing my life away. I need to live in the moment and treasure the everyday things I get to do with my kids. I am so blessed and so lucky to be there mom and get to stay home with them. I shouldn't complain about the dirty diapers and the all of the stupid things I have to do. Nothing but their happiness should matter. We are all healthy, happy and have all the things we could possibly need. He says that there is no one right way to be a mom. And that means a lot, when you feel like you are doing everything wrong. I need to not be in such a hurry and not take the everyday things for granite. I should treasure each hug and kiss, and all of the cute things they do and say. Who cares if the dishes are in the sink, the car is a mess, we need to go to the store, the couch is full of clothes to be folded and we look like rag-a-muffins. We had a great day, the kids got lots of kisses, and we had a lot of fun.


Okay I am done ranting, everyone just get on lds.org, and read his talk. It will make you feel so good.

6 comments:

haley said...

thank you for this post. i think we all need to be reminded of this daily... we need to have a cousins play date... is there anyday that works better for than another?

Hayley Holliman said...

I'm always telling Josh "Someday we are going to miss this"... I'm just wondering when that day is going to come? Only Kidding - But it's so true, It makes me sick to even picture the day when we have no little kids around the house. *Enjoy It while they are Little*
And by-the-way you and Colby are like the best parents in the WORLD!!!

kelliemcc said...

Amen sister! I want to have this talk made into wallpaper and hung somewhere in my house.

Jossie said...

Wasn't that the best talk? I agree that sometimes you just have to let the housework go and just enjoy the moment. Thanks for the reminder :-)

Justin and Lori said...

I also loved the talk and since conference have read it again. I feel like I hardly ever live in the moment. I'm always in my mind preparing for the next event etc... These kids do grow up WAY too fast!

Katherine said...

I totally agree with everything you just said...And everything Elder Ballard said. I also have a hard time living in the present and enjoying my day. I am doing better and am starting to understand that being happy is a decision. It's not what is going on around you. I just have to decide everyday to be happy and to have a good day with my kids. Thanks for the post.