Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hadlee's First Trip to the ER

On Easter Sunday night, we finished up at our party and DeAnee's and came home and got ready for bed. (Colby was working a night shift.) Around 1130, I heared Hadlee cough a few times. I thought it was weird, because she hadn't been sick. Then by 1145, she was coughing really hard and couldn't breathe. I kept trying to get her to clear her throat but she wouldn't. I gave her some medicine, but the coughing only got worse. Her cough turned into a barking sound. I took her outside, thinking it might be croup. We were out there for like 5 min and the cold air wasn't helping. I called Colby and he actually answered. After listening to her for a second, he said to take her in. I thought, NO......we are both nurses here, there must be something we can do. I told him I would call him back and went into the bathroom and ran the shower and got the room all steamy. Nothing seemed to help and she was getting scared because she couldn't breathe. Cregg ran up to the house, to sleep on the couch in case Hanks woke up and we were off. Going down the hill into Provo, on our way to Utah Vally, Hadlee said, "Mom, I can Breathe." and quit coughing. I still wanted her to be seen, so we entered the waiting room, full of crying kids. Hadlee fell asleep in my arms for a few hours and I was totally entertained, watching all of the families deal with their sick kids. You could point out the couples that were fighting, because of the stress of dealing with their screaming child. I am such a people watcher and would think of backgrounds for them as I watched them. The Doctor said It sounded just like croup and gave her a steroid treatment. I don't know, It was so scary when she couldn't breathe. They said she would have a cough and then at night it would get worse again, but she has had nothing. She was totally fine the next day. It makes me wonder if she had a reaction to something, because she had been playing outside all evening, I guess I will never know. I just hope I never had to be in that situation again, and hope Colby has to deal with it next time.

2 comments:

kelliemcc said...

I am a commenting fool tonight! Glad she is okay, nothing is worse. We did that once with Owen, except it was snowing like CRAZY and we hit a curb in Josh's truck and popped the tire and it was like 1 in the morning and he had to hitch a ride to his mom's to borrow their car, it was a crazy mess.

Walker paradise said...

I'm so glad she is okay!